Kapalbhati Pranayam is a phenomenal and the oldest one. The name has the combination of 2 Sanskrit words – ‘Kapal’ refers our forehead and ‘Bhaati’ mean light. On regular practice this pranayam brings shine to our face. This breathing procedure activates most of the energy points in our body which in turn makes us energetic, fit and active. Thus our body receives positive energy which transforms into happiness. Happiness transmits light onto our face. Compared to all pranayams, Kapalbhati is the most celebrated one. It has most benefits and effective for all. It is called the ‘Sanjeevani booti’ since it floods us with loads of positive energy by expelling all built – up negative energy from our body.
How do we practice Kapalbhati Pranayama?
All yoga asanas are done on empty stomach, preferably early in the morning in open space.
- Sit on the floor on a yoga mat cross legged with back straight or in a proper asana posture.
- This is a very simple pranayama, wherein you have to inhale first very normally and then exhale forcefully number of times, (as if you are expelling an insect entered into your nose, by exhaling air out with full force) this will automatically activate the organs in the abdominal area.
- Keep the body relaxed and calm.
- In the beginning you will not be able to forcefully exhale as fast as it has to be done.
- Start slowly then gradually increase the speed.
- Stop when you feel tried, after few seconds start again.
Repeat for few minutes with breaks, finally you should be able to do this for maximum time to gain best benefit.
Benefits of Kapalbhati Pranayam
- As you exhale forcefully, your abdominal area moves up and down thereby providing an exercise to your internal organs.
- Your insides become active and fresh with all the impurities fleshing out those your nostrils.
- Since all the impurities are expelled out, you will be cured from many diseases.
- Kapalbhati Pranayama is good for diabetics, and asthma patients.
- This exhaling technique throws out all the negative energy pent up inside you.
- All the anger, frustrations, ego and likes will be gone forever.
- Your face, that is index of your mind, will start glowing and you will look gorgeous and ravishing.
- This pranayam will also cure your hair-loss problems.
- Your concentration power will increase, and that will pave way to increased focus on your work.
- Most ailments related to cold will be cured like the most irritated problem of sinusitis gets cured if this pranayam is practiced daily.
Precautions While Doing Kapalbhati Pranayama
- Pregnant ladies, people with high blood pressure and heart related problems should not practice this pranayam.
- Rest all, irrespective of age, can safely practice this daily.
Kapalbhati Pranayama is ideally done in the early mornings in open space with lots of fresh air. If early morning is not possible then practice after 5 hours post meals. Or 20-30 minutes before meals.
Kapalbhati Pranayama generates awakens in Mooladhar Chakra Shakti. Bahya Pranayama should be done after Kapalbhati which helps moves Mooladhar Chakra Shakti upwards.