Bahya Pranayam is one of the best Pranayama which cures many common deceases. Its done with Bahya Kumbhaka (Ceasing Breath Outside) and that is why it is called Bahya Pranayama. Bahya pranayama cures stomach, urinary and reproductive related deceases.
Below are its steps and benefits described in detail. This is a powerful pranayama. Do read precaution below and start doing it under trainer guidance.
Bahya Pranayam Steps:
- Sit comfortably in Padmasana keeping you back straight. You can site in Sukhasan if not comfortable in the beginning.
- Slowly inhale (Pooraka) and fill your lungs with air as much as you can.
- Now exhale (Rechaka) with force.
- Then apply three blockages (bandhs):
- Jalandhar Bandha: Touch your chin to the gill follicle.
- Mool Bandha: Shrink and pull the hole of the anus upward.
- Jaalandhar Bandha: Pull the intestines in the stomach backwards (Watch the image at top right).
- Hold above position for 8 to 16 seconds and then open the Jalandhar Bandha while slowly inhaling.
- Perform these steps 3 to 21 times. You can increase this number after regular practice.
Bahya Pranayam Benefits:
- Bahya Pranayam is best known for curing stomach problems like constipation, acidity, gastric and other issues.
- It cures Hernia, completely in most of the cases.
- Bahya Pranayama cures urinary and reproductive diseases.
- It is helpful for female prolapsed uterus problems.
- It improves our digestion system.
- It makes one calm and composed.
- It should be done empty stomach or 4 to 5 hours after your meal.
- People having any heart problem or high blood pressure problem should not do it.
- Women should avoid Bahya Pranayama during Menstruation or pregnancy.
Apart from direct physical benefits, it boosts up your energy level and refreshes dull mood. Its like stretching excise for your internal organs. It increases oxygen level resulting instant energy.
Bahya Pranayama should be ideally done after Kapalbhati Pranayama. Its is said that Kapalbhati Pranayama generates power in Muladhar Chakra and Bahya Pranayama helps it move upwards.
We organize 200 hours yoga teacher training in Rishikesh with certification from Yoga Alliance International. Join the course to explore more with certified trainers.