Anulom Vilom Pranayam is one of the breathing techniques where you inhale through one nostril, retain breath and exhale through the other nostril. In Sanskrit Anulom refers to the natural order and Vilom means opposite or going against it. In this Pranayam technique you breathe with alternate nostrils. This pranayam brings to you lots of benefits, by bringing about a good balance between your body and mind.
How to practice Anulom Vilom Pranayam
- Sit comfortably on the floor cross – legged or in any yogic posture. It may be Vajrasana or Sukhasana.
- If you find it difficult to sit on the floor then you may sit on a chair and practice this pranayama.
- Any pranayam is performed in an open space with lots of fresh air early in the morning in empty stomach.
- Sit erect and relax by breathing deeply.
- Now place your left hand on your left knee.
- Bring your right hand thumb and slightly press on your right nose.
- Inhale deep with your left nostril.
- Hold your breath, now close the left side of your nose with your right – hand ring finger while you slowly release the thumb from the right nostril. Exhale!
Repeat this process number of times.
Benefits of Anulom Vilom Pranayam
- You increase the intake of Oxygen through this Pranayam.
- Thus your brain and body gets relaxed.
- Your head gets cleared and pressures at your eyes and ears get released.
- The complete body gets a makeover with fresh Oxygen.
- People suffering from Sinus and Migraine should definitely practice this pranayam.
- There is improved blood circulation with good amount of Oxygen flowing in.
- Lot of life threatening disorders such as Parkinson, Asthma, Depression, & Diabetes gets cured by practicing this Pranayam regularly.
- This Pranayama is a remedy for stomach related problems like Acidity & Constipation.
- Diseases such as Cancer also get cured.
- If any member in your family has the problem of snoring, immediately ask him/her to practice this Pranayam.
- Anulom Vilom gives new energy to body and fade way dipresson and fear
- Practicener start feeling new positivity in life after few days of practice.
Precautionary measures while practicing Anulom Vilom Pranayama
- Sit erect and in a comfortable aasan or posture.
- Beginners need to start slowly.
- Do not suddenly retain breath for a long time.
- Practice Pranayama early in the morning on empty stomach.